Monday, January 25, 2016

Inspired By: 1970s

I've been revamping my closet a little bit lately, and I've noticed that over the years, I've collected and kept a lot of items that are from the 70s-90s or are made to look as though they are. Fringe, velvet, leather, fur, denim.. these are my staples. I try to get rid of stuff I don't wear after it sitting for about a month, but there's certain pieces that stay no matter what, and I don't think that's going to change any time soon.

Even though I wasn't alive in the 70s, it was clearly an era that dominated style. It rebelled against the "pop" feel of the 1960s, and defied gender roles (ex. Donny and Marie Osmond). Neck lines were cut low and t-shirts were cropped up. Women began wearing jeans! What a concept! Men and women alike could wear sheer button up shirts with extra flared bellbottoms and no one was called a derogatory term. What a time to be alive - I wish I was.

Some of the biggest trend setters at the time, are my biggest influences now. Musicians like David Bowie, Elton John, Cher and Debbie Harry.. And I could never forget the love of my life: Freddie Mercury. All of these folks changed the way the fashion game was operating, and they did it with ease.


Tomorrow I'll be sharing some of my favorite pieces from my closet, and a little history about them.


No comments:

Post a Comment