Thursday, June 21, 2012

Transitioning

Hey everyone. I apologize for the lack of updates lately. As you probably know, I'm moving to Sacramento this summer, so I've been working a lot and trying to get a job up there, etc. I actually just got hired on as a part of management for Goodwill on L street (YAAAY OMG I'M SO EXCITED I REALLY AM BUT I'M TRYING TO KEEP THIS PROFESH. AKA PROFESSIONAL BUT WHO CARES WHEN YOU'RE IN PARENTHESIS?!?!?!!1111!). So that's really incredible, and I'm excited for that. Nineteen years old and a part of management for a huge charitable company.. Hard work pays off, ya'll.

A while ago, I wrote a sort of essay-blog-bullet-point thing about getting jobs. I figured I could share it with you all, since I know a lot of young people read this, who may or may not have jobs, or who may or may not have had good experiences with finding jobs. So here's some helpful tips from me to you. Once again, it's a bit out-dated, and perhaps a little bit on the edgy attitude side.. but I was heated when I wrote it, and thus.. yeah, just read it.


I have more than one job. This is correct. Technically I have three, right now.

If you really want a job, then here are some helpful tips from me to you, on how to get one. These come from personal experience, and advice from my father. By no means am I claiming to be an official job-acquirer.
  • Going out and applying to one or two places a month is not job hunting. Set a goal for the week, and then go apply, and do not stop until you get a job. Make a list of places to apply in one area of town, and hit up every place. then move to a different part of town the next week. Keep going until you've covered every possible place you can work, and then..
  • "The squeeky wheel gets the grease". Speak up. If you apply somewhere, follow up with your application. Go in and ask a manager where you stand. Apply again. Apply three times. Call and ask about your application. You can't be shy when applying for places, you need to speak up for yourself. Employers love people who say "I want to work for you". If you go and apply, and never follow through, you're just a name in a mess of papers. Make yourself known.
  • Apply to fast food. I don't care if that's not where you want to work. You don't have to stay there forever, but it's a great first job to have. It prepares you for future jobs, and gives you enough experience to get hired at a different job. Chick-fil-A was an awesome first job, I got free food and I loved my co-workers. Of course there were aspects about it that I didn't enjoy, but that comes with just about every job. Fast food hires people constantly, because people are constantly quitting and getting better jobs. If you really need a job, you won't let your pride and ego get in the way of applying to fast food. Because honestly, if you've never had a job before, you aren't better than the people working at McDonald's. Not to an employer anyway.
  • I know it's 2012, and things are changing, but when it comes down to it, most employers still don't want to hire someone with metal poking out of their faces, and unnatural hair colors. Most employers are still very conservative, and I don't know when that will change. A lot of times, it's store policy, and that won't change for a long time. If you're lucky, employers won't care about body modifications and hair color, and they will focus on your work ethic, but it's rare, and it most likely won't be right off the bat. Employers look for people who seem "disciplined", which means they look like 95% of the population. This doesn't mean I agree with it, but from what I've seen, that's just how it goes. Dye your hair to a natural color, and take your visible piercings out, and then go apply. When you make a stable relationship with your boss, then you can test the waters and see what is acceptable for the work environment. (P.s. if you have visible tattoos, try covering them the best you can. Tattoos are becoming more widely accepted in the workplace, but it's best to stay on the safe side, especially when applying.)
  • Have proper etiquette. I remember a girl came to apply for Homegoods and she had her headphones in. It's safe to say that we never looked at her application. Smile, be friendly, ask to speak to a manager and shake their hand, make eye contact. Tell them your full name, have confidence. Even if you have to fake it, DO IT. say "thank you" before you leave, ask about the follow-up process so you are aware of what may or may not happen to your application. DO NOT bring your friends in. DO NOT bring your parent in, unless you are underage, but I still don't recommend it. DO NOT dress as if you are going to the club after you drop this application off. Put your phone on silent, and put it away. Don't come in with a bunch of clutter in your hands, have your application, and your resume, and that should be it. The more put together you appear, the more stable you look, and the more likely you are to get an interview.
  • KNOW SOMEONE. This is really the most important tip I can give you. It is ALWAYS best to apply to a place where you know someone who works there, or know someone who can recommend you. Because now, you have a relationship built prior to applying. You have someone who is already in, giving you good reviews and recommending you. You have a small level of trustworthiness because of this, as opposed to knowing nobody and having to build relationships from scratch. Every single job that I've gotten has been because I knew someone. A youth minister knew the owner of Chick-fil-A, and recommended me. An ex-Chick-fil-A coworker worked at Homegoods and recommended me. Multiple friends of mine worked at Urban and recommended me. It is very unlikely for you to get a job by simply walking in and handing over your application.
  • Meet people. When you go to apply somewhere, befriend the current employees. Make a profile on linkedin, and establish relationships with people there. Even if you're just at a party, or a show, or what have you, meet people and befriend them. The more friends you have, the more likely you are to have friends with jobs, and then the more likely you are to get a job.
I know these are long, but majority of the time, this works. Unless you are the strange minority case of people who get awesome jobs right off the bat, or the minority case of people who for whatever reason cannot get a job no matter how hard they try, these work.

No comments:

Post a Comment