Monday, March 12, 2012

D.I.Y: Splattered Shorts

Woo hoo! First D.I.Y. project on the new blog!

So, I've been channeling the 1980's or something lately, because bleach is my best friend. I've been experimenting with so many different bleach techniques.. I can't get enough. I'm most likely going to destroy another pair of shorts with bleach within the next couple of weeks, so keep your eyes peeled for that. But today I'm going to show you how I created the splattered shorts featured in this blog post.

THINGS YOU WILL NEED:
(Ignore the razor blade behind the bleach.. it kept rolling around, and I needed something to balance it)
- A rag, but now that I've done this, I've come to the conclusion that a sponge would benefit you so much more. So, use a sponge instead.
- Shorts that are in need of revamping.
- Bleach.
- Water.
- Some little container to hold your bleach & water.
- A bath tub, preferably.
- Gloves.

STEP ONE:

Fill up your container with two parts water, one part bleach. Just do an estimate, these aren't supposed to be perfect. Make sure that you are doing this in the bathtub, as to not ruin your bathroom floor, rugs, clothes, etc. But don't put yourself in the bathtub, we don't want your skin to burn off.
Once your container has the proper ingredients in it, take your rag, or your sponge and soak it in the mixture. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE GLOVES ON, AND KEEP THE FAN ON AND DOORS OF THE BATHROOM OPEN. I can't stress that enough, guys. Bleach is over-whelming if you inhale too much at one time. Please, please make sure you have oxygen.

 STEP TWO:



Simply ring out your sponge/rag a few times over the mixture, and then ring it out over your shorts. I sort of messed up on the front side, because I didn't ring my towel out enough prior to ringing it out over the shorts, so the front was almost completely covered. I really like the way the back looks though.

STEP THREE:
Let your shorts sit for as long as you want. Check on them periodically to make sure the coloring is as light or dark as you want it. Once it's there, wash and dry.

Ta-da! You have successfully splattered a pair of shorts with bleach. Have fun!

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment